Thursday, March 16, 2006

A guide to spreading yourself thin.

This guide isn't for the weak minded. Multi-tasking is a must. If you don't know what that means, stop reading now and go eat a lollipop and enjoy your day. As most of you know, I'm a coach. An assistant coach but a coach none-the-less. My main job on the field: pitchers. Not just for Varsity but for all 3 teams. I have 2 pitchers for Varsity, 1 for JV and 2-3 for FS. To be effective, I should spend roughly 30 minutes with each one. I get out to practice at 4:30pm. Practice is usually done about 6:00pm. Start running the numbers. That means I can look at 3 a day. However, I'm usually busy with a game or two a week. Rain cancels practice, other teams play on different days and I need to help with the infield/hitting mechanics of Varsity's practice.

"So wait, how do you do it?" you ask.

1) I take 2 pitchers at a time (however yesterday 3).
2) I have to memorize what each of them has to work on and give them mini tasks to work on.
3) Alternate between the 3.
4) Addressing injuiries because of improper stretching.
5) Don't forget to keep watching.
6) Being beckoned by said Head Coach to watch an infield play and see what needs to be fixed.
7) Turn around and look at the pitchers.
8) Give some quick fixes for infield and head back to said pitching area.
9) Get to the 3rd pitcher that you see isn't finishing her positioning but have been called away for the past 15 minutes every time you try to walk over to her.
10) Jog back over to dugout to give end of the day talks/cheer.
11) Run back to said pitching area to re-evaluate.
12) Give instructions/drills for rest of the week. Release them.
13) Listen to players problems and help by giving advice.
14) End this 2 hour session.

My day wasn't near over yet but you get the idea. Focus is key people, Focus, Focus... I wonder what's for dinner... What was I saying? Oh yeah, Focus!

No comments: