Tuesday, December 20, 2005

JoeCon '05

So this past weekend an old friend of a friend came into town from the Bay area for 4 days of gaming bliss. With this being so close to the holidays and spending time with family being high on the list... I was only able to game 2 nights.

However, Joe, of JoeCon, is a very nice guy and we wish he lived closer so he could be a regular. In my time on the table I played El Grande, RoboRally (well 1/2 a game, interrupted by a migraine) and Age of Steam (did not know how I felt about this game the 1st time I played it). Being the unusally fair minded person, I have made a point in life to try things 2-3 times to give a fair opinion of "hell no, that sucks."

Needless to say, Age of Steam was much more well received (Joe said he wouldn't let me leave till I liked it, so I really didn't have much choice). Secretly still, 2 rounds in I was trying to really understand the game. It made sense much faster. Foresight is an enemy of mine so this was my disability I figured out. With no taksies backsies, I took 3rd of 6. I guess that's alright. So I won't mind so much if this game hits the table more.

RoboRally was the only game that supported 8 so that came out Saturday night... it got long and drawn out. I tagged out with Erin when she arrived so I could attempt to detour my migraine. An hour and half later they were still playing and people were quitting. Too many robots with no room or the right cards to move.

El Grande is just fun. I like to hear the cubes when they drop in the Caballero. Watching people get paranoid about their home turf is funny too.

JoeCon was fun, there were even T-shirts designed I wish I could have ordered one in time to wear. I can't wait till next year when he comes back.

No comments: