Saturday, February 04, 2006

Really? 70 of 'em... aw gaw damn!

So there were 22 girls at practice this morning. That brings us up to 70 girls. Our biggest turn out in our 4 years coaching. This also means, cuts are inevitable. We're going to max out at 55. Varsity will again, be a young team (I'm still set that next year will be our kick ass year).

We had some very impressive girls come out. But the big deal of the day: I threw batting practice to every single one of them. Oh yes, it's that time again for the old lady to get in her rhythm and see what the little chicas have got. One particularly bad episode for today occured with a freshman girl that is suppose to be "top dog." I was fairly impressed with her glove and her throw is great but then there was her hitting capabilities or should I say, "lack there of." However, that wasn't the worst part. Miss Erin said from her bucket on the side lines, "turn up the heat." Now, lesson learned here, do not joke with me about pitching faster. I did as I was told and smoked that first pitch right past her. Everyone got really quiet and a small bit of fear went over my face as Miss Erin now said, "I was just kidding." Well crap, now I had to gradually slow down pitch by pitch as to not make it so obvious that I was doing it. The even worse part, she couldn't touch my pitches. This golden glove couldn't hit for a shit. Normally, I won't take my eyes off the bat for fear that the ball will end up in my teeth. Since she wasn't hitting, I felt safe enough to watch her for 3 pitches to see why she was struggling. Then I walked up to her, did 2 tweaks and she creamed the next ball. It's always nice to confirm a suspision and especially in front of her parents. *2 pats for me*

So basically, all these girls just made all the teams we thought we had almost done, put us back to square one. We have to re-evaluate on Monday and choose teams afterwards. It could be a long evening...

Now it's shower time, I threw well over 400 pitches in an hour and a half and I'm just one big ball of sweat. Then...... off to Hermosa Beach to enjoy an old friend (an ex-catcher) Stephanie, I can't wait till she gets here, it's been a long time. Funny how we get so caught up in our lives' that our friends get away from us.

No comments: