Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Volunteering at CALM for "Holiday Lights"


So our friend Lynn works for PG&E. They sponsored 2 nights and needed volunteers to herd people in the right directions and keep chilren from running-a-muck. Alix and I were lucky enough to be stationed near a bridge together, most people had to work alone. So we were joking around, having a good time. I even made a hot chocolate, DS, extra sweater, blanket car run. Then about an 1.5 in, they called us on our talkie walkies and we had to split up :( As soon as I got situated in my new spot, I txt her how lonely I was. We ended up having fun txting. I put one iPod bud in my ear which was great. Then she got called to move to higher activity station and she really had to pay attention and tell people where to go.

So we had some highlights, of course, who wouldn't with people watching at Holiday lights.

1) A little girl, high-fived Alix *okay cute*
2) We got to see lots of tiny babies bundled up with bunny ear hats *aww super cute*
3) I got to see how clowns are back in style. So there were of course high school couples *everyone say "awww"* Anyway, these dang boys with those skinny jeans... I might be into it if they put more thought into the rest of the outfit then just sliding their ass into a pair of tight pants but to match your 6ft tall, lanky ass frame with your size 11 Converse to make you look like you have clown feet? Not a fan but thanks for the laughs.
4) People remarking on how cold it is. Really? It's night time... in the winter... *blinks* Moving on.
5) There was a new Pelican that came in about 2 weeks ago, her name is Betty and her wing is broken, so she is here for rehab. *waves* HI BETTY THE PELICAN
6) Fun questions: Do you know how many lights there are? *looks at Alix, looks at people* No but I can probably find out if you want... "no, I'm sure there is well over a million though" walks off. Okay then.
Next one: Do you know where the light show is? "Yes right over there among the trees." Do you know how often... "hmm, no but one second" *pushes talkie walkie button* "How often is the light show? ' every 20 minutes' "thanks... it's every 20 minutes" Do you know when the last one was? "I think about 5 minutes ago" Oh dang, okay thanks... that one was fun cause we got to use the talkie walkies!
When I got put a alone a boy asked me if the skunk button still worked. I couldn't do anything but blink and say no, sorry. I had no idea what he was talking about but I didn't want the whole park to hear me ask that.
7) Listening to the talkie walkies cut out and people say "Whaaat?"
8) Hearing a mom tell her son it should be called a Flutterby because they Flutter by you and that butter does not fly. He argued her point in favor of still calling it a Butterfly.
9) Hearing grown-ups ask for potty breaks over the talkie walkies.

I think there were more but that's all I can remember right now :)

It was pretty refreshing sitting out there, I actually had layers on. I liked it. I even had a beanie cap on :)

No comments: