Wednesday, June 04, 2008

So did I mention we were caching on Saturday... oh and Sunday... oh and...



Geocaching is the forefront of anything we do now-a-days. I love it. If gas wasn't so expensive it would be even cheaper. Luckily, when you geocache, you drive slow and you'd be amazed at how little gas you use. Alix and I decided we wanted to grab a cache in the Kern River Canyon that had been posted a month and no one had found. We've been wanting a FTF to find and if we have to drive 23.4 miles to get it, so be it. We decided to do some hiking as well. I haven't been in the canyon in a long time and that's pretty sad because it really is pretty and there are a lot of nice spots to pull off and park.



So we spent a good part of Friday night, drawing up a map and laying out some caches for the day. We wouldn't post any high numbers, this was more of an exploring day. So we set off for the first one... took a bit but we found it! Alix got a true FTF! It was pretty exciting. We took a micro coin and dropped a Snow Coin (it wants to find snow). Then headed to the next one. Wow. This had a terrain rating of 2. LIARS!!! At best 3.5 out of 5. There was a lot of stickers, direct uphills and a lot of misdirections. I've bitched about a climb in Yosemite and that seems like cake compared to this one. I will be the first to admit that I had to give about 1/2 way up, my feet couldn't take it. Alix kept going... and going... and it got to a point we were yelling to keep in contact she was so far away. I rested on a rock and was visited by a snake. BLEAH! I decided to head back down and track her from a dirt "road." I use that term loosely, I have no idea how even a 4x4 could get up there. So about 20 minutes had gone by and she FOUND IT! She said it was sitting on top of some rocks and she felt a little cheated but whatever it was a find. The TB that was suppose to be there wasn't and that sucked. So she came tromping back down and we headed to the car so I could peel off her shoes and pick all the stickers out of her socks... poor kid. She was quite pink but still ready to go. It was pretty warm by this time and we headed back out of the canyon. We grabbed 2 more and I had a bit of a migraine coming on :( it was now after 3 and we had to be at a friends house by 5:30pm so we called it a day.



On a side note, we had some little rubber duckies and I thought it would be fun to throw one down the river. We called him Senor Patito (Mister Little Duck) and down the Kern River he went. We even saw him a little ways down the river, it was kinda fun :)



Saturday night we were gaming with some friends, helped them load up some caches and planned to go caching in the AM. It was great, we were at their house by 9 and had 8 of 9 finds by 12:30pm. That was a little more promising after the 4 we got in 5 hours the day before :) Lots and lots of caching and we love it.



Those were the toughest 4 caches to date...

No comments: