Thursday, February 28, 2008

8 year olds and pitching lessons

I have been VERY competitive in sports more of my life than not. I don't like to lose and I hate not being the best at something. It's my secret and I work at not letting my "temper" get the best of me. I put that in quotes mainly because I've worked very hard to not be THAT girl anymore. I'm pretty much low-key and mellow now and my body loves me so much for that :)

So today I will be going to a 10 and under softball game to help out a pitcher who is 8 years old. This is very common. Being bred for softball in Bakersfield isn't new. I run across people looking for private lessons more often then you might think. As I do not coach high school ball anymore, my 14 hour days have ceased and I can enjoy the sport a little more. I miss it terribly, don't get me wrong but it doesn't consume my life for 6 months either. Okay, who are we kidding, it was more like 10 months. It would have been 12 but cold and rain does slow us down. Anyway, I've seen some of these parents with their girls and it still amazes. More than ever they are teaching that "must be the best" attitude and it's going younger and younger. Sometimes I think the parents want the bragging rights that their child is the most talented more than anything.

I enjoy helping though, it's fun and it keeps me close to softball which is a love I will never lose. Something about walking out on to a freshly chalked field and an untouched mound that gives me the shivers every time. I have a love for the sport... I wonder how you teach that??? I think some of my players got it over the time I had them but how does one completely inspire for the love of the game? I kinda like not knowing and just doing what I do best, teach the game I grew up with and love so much. Not everything has to have an answer, some of the most miraculous things are those left unanswered.

Play ball... *smiles*

No comments: