Monday, October 31, 2005

Chili Beans, Corn Bread and 16 Pumpkins

So as the tradition goes, the day before Halloween, we all bring our pumpkins to my parents house, I make copies of the Pumpkin Masters Designs and we all set out carving. I keep binders of old patterns, so we easily have over 50 to choose from. My mom always makes a big pot of chili beans and corn bread. A nice way to warm you up on the inside since you'll be sitting outside for the next four hours in the cool air carving pumpkins.

A new fun toy I found on sale was the Pumpkin Master power carver. Oh yes, it is battery operated and makes carving all the big chunks out a breeze. This little joyous creation also allowed me to get through 3 pumpkins, pretty easily.

This year, 16 pumpkins would be staying at my parents house and there was 7 of us carving. Friends came over as well, carving their own pumpkins to take back home with them, so I think overall we had 21 pumpkins. It's such a fun tradition as each person starts finishing them and holding a flashlight to show off their pumpkin.

Lots of smiles and also a lot of heavy sighs and misc. words of utter disgust when the tip of tower breaks or a spiders leg doesn't come out right. My new idea to fix things? Use a toothpick to prop it up, we saved a castle tower, a pumpkin and a couple other pieces from falling off.

All in all, it was a great night and I look forward to that almost as much as the next night. I love spending time with family and in my parents house, if you walk through the door, you are family. It's really a special and wonderful place to have grown up.

No comments: