Monday, February 01, 2010

Conviction... but at the cost of your own possible happiness?

I had someone approach me today.  A friend actually.  I have had, in my time, many a person come to me with a situation or problem of sorts.  With each approach, I 'try' <-- I really, really do, to just listen.  When someone comes to you with a ranting/raving/venting/complaining/or any story of sorts, I have learned, the very hard way and with a loss of a couple friends, that listening is key and even though you THINK you know what is best.  You don't.  I'll be the first one to say that I like to be right about everything.  I mean, who doesn't?  :)  But when it comes down to it, at the end of the day, when that person has to look in the mirror, when that person wakes up in the morning, You don't have to look at that face every morning, You don't feel what they are feeling deep inside.  Any advice you give, is you're opinion.  It's what you want them to do, or THINK is best... and even though sometimes we'd like someone else to do everything for us and not have to deal with things, it is imperative that said person is ultimately the one to make the decision and do what is best for them.

Confused yet?  Good.  I bet you're really not though, we've all been there before, don't lie.

I complain a lot of the current state of the children being brought up in the world today.  Lazy, messy, no accountability, no respect for others, bratty... the list could go on for a long time.  I have met a 'few' and I mean few parents who I admire completely and wish everyone could base their parenting skills on these people.  I would have a lot more hope for humanity because let's face it, it's shaky.  There are some adults I know who don't fall far from this category either which basically explains children these days, you learn what you see.  Morals.  That word almost seems extinct like dinosaurs or something.  I like to think my morals are good.  They aren't outstanding and that's okay.  I've had my fair share of "should've done that different" moments but overall, I think I can get a satisfactory check mark.  The point is, I've learned and that really is what life is about.  Trying.  You either succeed or fail.  At least you can live with the notion that you tried.  Screw those discouraging 'what if' moments... because you only get left with never trying at all.

Which brings me back full circle to my title.  Conviction.  The strong belief kind of conviction, 'stickin' to your guns' as they say.  In my conversation of today, I saw some very commendable statements from this person, admirable even.  Made me even more proud to know this person.  However, oh yeah-the fancy 'but,' it also made feel a great sadness too.  As I do understand the reasons, I can't help wonder if those words used aren't only trying to justify for the few others that know but for this person as well?  

I have to say, I have some hands on experience with this stuff.  It's tough.  No matter which way the follow through goes... someone is going to hurt.

So my question dear readers, do your sacrifice for yourself and hurt alone or do you take that risk and just maybe, put yourself first this time and take any back lash?

How many times have you not said something, even though you really, secretly, deeply, truly wanted to?  Even if it meant making for an awkward or strange moment.  Isn't it better to get it out there?

"if you failed that is a good thing, it means you tried. Better then doing nothing at all..." - a friend posted this the other day, I thought it fit my blog today.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I never leave comments, because I don't want to be the only one, hehe. But, as I was reading your blog, I thought of that quote you posted, as I saw it the other day too. All of what you said is very true. A lot of well meaning family, try to tell me what to do all the time, when it comes to finances, the kids schooling, and so on. But, in the end, it's me who has to live life day to day, raising my kids and doing what I feel is right, for us. Keeping your convictions can be a hard thing, and I'm sure we all falter in that. But, I believe, a life lived proudly is better than a life lived well.