Sunday, May 17, 2009

My Urgent Care Adventure

So I've been pretty quiet lately, I've been sick. I got this dry throat feeling last Monday, Tuesday felt the sore throat coming on, went home early and didn't go to work the rest of the week.

Thursday I went to the doctor to be told I have a "viral" infection and there was nothing they could give me for it and to take ibuprofen for the pain. So that kinda helped... not really at all. I had trouble sleeping and decided to take Friday off too. Saturday came around and I thought it was getting better. Alright, this was a fucking joke. Woke up Sunday around 11:am and headed right for the doctor, again.

Ever have a metal splinter? Multiply that feeling by about a 100 every time you swallow and that's what my throat felt like. Walked in and it was fairly busy, some lady was saying she had been there 5 hours. Now what I didn't realize till now was that it was just about noon at this point and they opened at 9:am... add the 3? No subtract the 2? Hmm... anyway I think she was full of shit basically. I get old people get cranky but sheesh. I'll admit they were kinda slow but after 1.5 hrs I was out with the diagnosis of an infection. I got some throat numbing stuff, some amoxicillan and big mg of ibuprofen. Jerks. Had the doctor on Thursday taken a little more time she could have saved me the second trip and a lot of gawd damn pain! Within a few hours I was able to swallow and eat and it was wonderful.

Now granted as I sit here I'm back to about the same pain level as this morning but it's going to take a few rounds before the meds take full affect, at least I have something to help me in the right direction though. *chalks a point to western medicine*

Let's move a little backwards to the wet pant wearing, seed crackin', cow chewing lady in the corner. She had these sweats on that looked like she walked hip high in water and bright bright pink. *blinks* Yep, you read that right. She also felt the need to sit there and crack/crunch sunflower seeds about as annoying as one person could sitting in the silent waiting area of Kaiser. Then proceeds to smack the seeds as well. OH yummy.

The high school girls... they take that "go everywhere together" thing too damn literally. I don't know why one of them was there and I really don't care. She is only note worthy because as she went into the nurses area to get weighed, she fell off the scale.

There's also the ever popular older lady who is sitting there coughing quietly then rips a big burp like a high school boy. Nice.

This guy came in and as he was about to sit down, realized he knew a guy. As polite people do they greeted one another and asked why the other was there. The guy in the business shirt that had just walked in said, "well we were on a cruise and something bit me and I got this." He then proceeds to pull up his sleeve and the guy made a face like a bone was protruding through his skin and literally back away. Alright, if you can make people back out of your personal space like that, you need to be at the doctor. A little while later after the triage nurse had done her 'one over' on him he came back out with his mother? and said, if that doctor tries to cut this off, "I'll smack him in his head." I don't know why that was so funny but it was.

So yeah, people. They make the world go 'round.

No comments: