Tuesday, May 02, 2006

1% chance it wouldn't happen but it did, so whatever...

For my local buddies, you all know how last week at this time it was cool and raining. You also know that yesterday it was about 90. Bleah. As we are nearing the end of our season, mostly we are working on batting and making routine plays. Live pitching is always better than the pitching machine. As some of you may or may not know, I get vicious migraines especially from the heat. I agreed to throw batting practice yesterday knowing there was a very little % of not getting a headache. By batter 3, it was well on it's way. I was well hydrated, well rested but the heat was taking its toll. I went through a full round and walked into the dugout, laid down on the bench and put a bag of ice on my head. It was like thousands of needles stabbing the side of my head but I just smiled and closed my eyes. The ice helped a lot but the nausea was there. The evening proved to be a tough one, 40 minutes under a cold shower helped but I still felt very stiffled.

I wouldn't go through that for just anyone... I just hope the practice helped. Last week I didn't even think they cared, they haven't been playing like it but you know what happened? They lost a well fought game. All the way till the bottom of the 7th and one bad throw lost any chances of winning. You know the best part though? They cried and were mad. That was the best news of the game. Twisted? Nope, just tells me that all my hard work is going to a team that cares enough to get upset when they work so hard and get so close and don't get the results they wanted. Some discussions afterwards shed some light within the team and more for the coaches.

Practice yesterday showed a team determined... I want more than anything for that to carry over to today's game.... wish us luck. Not to win but to play to win.

No comments: